Monday, July 9, 2012

EPI #14: Battles, part 0

Sorry for the lull in updating.  I spent most of the daylight hours on Saturday playing Ultimate in 104 degree heat, and most of the nighttime hours, well, sleeping.  And today I've been working on battles!  Yeah!

Battles are the other white meat of JRPGs.  What doesn't happen on a map generally happens in combat, so I need to make a combat system that's at least a little bit entertaining and a lot bit flexible.  They're also enormously complex.  In order to flesh out a battle system, I need more or less to finalize concepts for Monsters, Items, Spells, and PlayerCharacters, among other things.  I've spent most of today bludgeoning my way through this tangled mess of interactions, and I'm surprisingly close to having something that works.   I'm gonna keep on keepin' on, and when I've got a functional example, I'll write it up and fill you all in on how it works.

In the meantime, here are a couple of 128x128 sprites I drew for battle art:



The one on the left is Kenfold's fearsome enemy, the Bearwolf.  Think of the bearwolf as a combination of a bear and a werewolf and you're on the right track.  The figure on the right is Kenfold, in battle mode.  What do you mean you didn't recognize his stylish red shoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment