Tuesday, June 26, 2012

EPI #3: Genre and Plot

It occurs to me that I haven't discussed what sort of game EPI will be.  I'll do that now.  My vision is for EPI to be a JRPG (a Japanese-style role-playing game).  Think of pretty much any Final Fantasy game ever, or, to a lesser extent, Pokemon, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.  You roam around a world map travelling to dungeons and cities, randomly encountering marauding bands of monsters who must be dispatched by your party's cold steel and fierce majick. (Or, encountering adorable critters who must be bludgeoned into unconsciousness and enslaved by your own adorable, enslaved critters.)

A brief tangent on RPG sub-genres:  JRPGs tend to differentiate themselves from WRPGs (Western role-playing games, although I don't think anyone really uses that acronym) by focusing on characterization, relationships, and plot as opposed to the WRPG focus on game mechanics and rules.  When someone mentions JRPGs, think of Final Fantasy, while when someone says WRPG, think of Dungeons and Dragons.  There are lots of other RPG sub-genres, most notably the MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game; think World of Warcraft) and the ARPG (action role-playing game; think Diablo II), but I'm not going to get into those right now.

My Facebook friends really picked this genre for me when they chose the title.  Although The Tempest: Escape from Prospero's Island could lend itself suitably to other genres, such as platformer (think Mario) or action-adventure (think Zelda), in my head these seem like they're more complicated to implement.  I want to keep this project simple, so that I increase my chances of finishing it.  Contrapositively, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to make SnakeRacer+ anything but a racing game, or Ultimate Frisbee 2013: Callahan Edition anything but a sports game.  This isn't to say it's impossible-- some of the most fun and interesting games I've played are the ones that bend and mix genres for a unique effect.  (See the postscript for examples.)  However, I'm trying to understand the basics of game development through this project.  I'll worry about heavy-duty innovation later.

My choice of genre also provides information about what sort of capabilities my game engine needs to have. Nearly all of the action in a JRPG happens in one of three places: the world map, a town/dungeon map, or the battle scene.  This means that my engine needs to support all three of these generic areas.  Characters in JRPGs also tend to have statistics and equipment.  Thus, the engine needs to support statistics, equipment, and modifications, both temporary and permanent, thereof.  I'll elaborate on my engine's capabilities further in a later post.

So then: a word or two about the plot.  Choosing JRPG as a genre also informs the general arc of the plot.  JRPG plots traditionally involve a band of relatively obscure characters exploring the world, visiting different locations, finding equipment, and growing in power until they are able to defeat the Big Bad Guy in a climactic battle to save the world.

In JRPG style, my vision for EPI's plot is for the player's character (PC) to awake on a deserted beach after a (space-)shipwreck.  The player will then gradually explore the island, encountering settlements (yes, I know the island is supposed to deserted), caves, dungeons, monsters, loot, and potential companions, until he realizes his only hope for escape lies in the mysterious wizard's tower at the center of the island.  The game will probably end with a climactic battle at the top of the tower against the wizard (Prospero) in the middle of a raging thunderst- tempest.


Postscript: Genrebending games I like (in no particular order)

No comments:

Post a Comment